Welcome to the website for Stainton and Streatlam Parish Council
The aim of the Parish Council is to help ensure Stainton and Stainton Grove and the immediate area remain a pleasant and safe place to live, work and visit. The Parish Council helps provide the facilities you want to see in the area and, where possible, deals with local problems as they arise in partnership with local community organisations other public bodies, and other neighbouring parish councils.
Parishes are the smallest areas of civil administration in England and Town and Parish Councils provide the statutory tier of local government closest to the community. (Civil parishes should not be confused with Church of England ecclesiastical parishes and their Parochial Church Councils.) Parish Councils are independent from County Councils.
Town and Parish Councils are an essential part of the structure of local democracy and have a vital role in acting on behalf of the communities they represent. They:
- give views, on behalf of the community, on planning applications and other proposals that affect the parish
- undertake projects and schemes that benefit local residents
- work in partnership with other local organisations and public bodies to achieve benefits for the parish
- alert relevant authorities to problems that arise or work that needs to be undertaken
- help the other tiers of local government keep in touch with their local communities.
Town and Parish Councils have a wide range of legal duties and powers, such as the maintenance of community buildings and land and much more. They have the power to raise money through the local council tax.
Stainton and Streatlam Parish Council also manages and maintains a number of local facilities including:
- manages and maintains the Play Area in Stainton village
- maintains the seats, footpaths and grassed area of the Parish
- makes awards of grants that benefit residents of the Parish.
The work of the Parish Council is funded by a precept or charge on the council tax of residents in the parish. In 2018 this was £6000
In the future it is possible that the Parish Council will have an even greater involvement in the provision of local services.
The Parish Council meets every two months in Stainton OR Stainton Grove Community Centre and members of the public are welcome to attend meetings. Agendas and minutes of meetings will be published on this website and are posted on the Parish Council notice boards
The website is maintained by the Parish Council and seeks to provide information on local social activities, essential services and other matters of interest to the community. This aspect will develop over time and the Parish Council welcomes any suggestions to make this site more useful to residents and visitors to the area.